keskiviikko 13. marraskuuta 2019

Carmen at the National Opera of Belarus in Minsk, the 5th of November, 2019



To my great surprise my business trip schedule allowed me to see at short notice Georges Bizet’s “Carmen” at the National Opera of Belarus. I am not the biggest fan of “Carmen”, but it was ok to see a traditional direction (Galina Galkovskaya) of this world-famous opera.

Carmen tells a story of Don José, who enlists and falls madly in love with a girl from the tobacco factory – Carmen - and forgets the home village girl – Micaëla. Carmen soon grows tired of Don José and falls in love with the toreador Escamillo. The end is not rosy and Don José kills Carmen out of jealousy.

This opera is full of familiar songs, which in my eyes is both its strength and its weakness. On the other hand, it is nice to hear familiar, compelling tunes, but I also really like operas, that you cannot see regularly in every opera house of the world.

This Minsk version had some Finnish flavour in it, since Anna Kontek was responsible for the costume design. When the direction is traditional, you cannot expect any surprises from it, so the visual side of the performance played a big role. Kontek’s costumes were on the fine line between traditional and imaginative and it was nice to look at them.

From the point of view of singing the evening was not a bullseye. I have e.g. once seen in Minsk Verdi’s “Macbeth” that had stunning singers, but this “Carmen” did not reach its level. Unfortunately, Oksana Yakushevich, who sang the main role, had clear difficulties with the lower and middle register. High register sounded great, but it was not quite enough. Don José (Aleksey Mikutel) got his voice warmed up only in the second and third acts. Only Tatiana Gavrilova, who sang the role of Micaëla, was consistently good during the whole opera. Her aria ”Je dis que rien ne m’épouvante” was excellent.  

So, I cannot say that this opera was the highlight of my operatic year, but despite its small flaws, it was quite entertaining, so I was happy with my evening in Minsk.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti