sunnuntai 4. syyskuuta 2016

Ariadne auf Naxos at Alexander Theatre, the 27th of August, 2016


ARIADNE AUF NAXOS

I went to see Ariadne auf Naxos by Richard Strauss at Alexander Theatre last Saturday (first night). I was really looking forward to the performance, since the opera is a bit unusual and consists of two parts: the prologue and the opera. Parts are different, but intertwined. You could perhaps say that the prologue is a bit opera buffa and the opera is ubertragic.

Changing the story of the opera from Vienna to Russia seemed a bit unnecessary, but fortunately it did not disturb that much during the opera. I have seen far worse modernizations of operas before. As a whole the opera was nice. Set and costumes worked (Zerbietta’s wigs were awful, but perhaps they had some message, too) despite the challenges posed by the small size of the stage. It was quite smart to use also the loges next to the stage in the opera. That gave a little extra spice to the performance.

Unfortunately the primadonna Emriikka Salonen had a flu and she only sung a few notes in the prologue. Fortunately the ladies singing her role from the wings (Hedvig Paulig and Minna-Liisa Värelä) did a great job. Personally I especially liked Värelä’s performance: sooooo beautiful! And even though Salonen did not sing, her looks suited the role of ubertragic Ariadne. The second voice that caressed my ears was Mika Nisula as Bacchus. Such a warm tenor voice. I also like Ann-Marie Heino’s debuting composer. I am not quite sure how believable her crush on the silly Zerbinetta was, but who says that opera plots would be realistic. I don’t think anyone goes and sees operas because of the realistic stories.

Then I simply must mention the extremely beautiful dancer Oskari Nyyssölä. I have no idea what kind of gold paint he was covered with but it definitely worked!

I really recommend this opera to others, too.

   

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti