keskiviikko 22. helmikuuta 2017

Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk Distric in the Finnish National Opera, the 21st of February, 2017


LADY MACBETH OF MTSENSK DISTRICT

 

Last season the Finnish National Opera showed Nose by Dmitri Shostakovich and now they did his last complete opera Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk District. After hearing this opera I had to say that it really is a pity that Shostakovich never composed his planned series of women operas after he got scared by Stalin’s critique. I really would have liked to hear those operas!

From the musical point of view the evening was fabulous. Shostakovich’s music in this opera is awesome and the orchestra and the conductor Oleg Caetani did a wonderful job honoring the great master composer. The warning of high noise level on the National opera’s web site should be, by the way, taken seriously. I don’t think I have ever heard such roaring music in this house! I fell in love with the versatile nature of the music. Even though the opera lasts for over three hours, you could never get bored, since there are new musical surprises coming around the corner all the time. Yummy!

The performers also were top quality. The main roles were filled by Russian singers and the leading lady’s part was sung by Svetlana Sozdateleva. She has a lovely Russian soprano voice and she made a great impression in this role. All in all I can say that the performers’ presence during the opera was exceptional. The Finnish singers in the smaller roles did well, too, even though some of them could use a little more work on their Russian pronunciation. Mika Pohjonen in the role of Zinevi Izmailov was a positive surprise. He impressed both by his singing and his performance. I have to admit that I would not have recognized him in this role, if I had not read his name in the programme

The set and costumes had been made rather simple and grey. I think the biggest audience favourites were the members of the brass orchestra, who marched at regular intervals to the stage in their school girl uniforms. I didn’t find them very necessary from the point of the view of the story. However, there were also other comic elements in the opera, for example, the rubber fish that were used like baseball bats during the performance, so I suppose it is ok to have some bearded schoolgirls in the posse. 

This opera oozes energy and will be remembered a long time. Absolutely wonderful opera, which I can recommend to everybody.

The curtain (a fish?)

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti