maanantai 9. syyskuuta 2019

Lahti Symphony Orchestra and Karita Mattila in the Sibelius Hall in Lahti, the 7th of September, 2019


I unexpectedly got a chance to see the Saturday concert by Lahti Symphony Orchestra and Karita Mattila played at the Sibelius Festival. I cannot say that I am a huge Sibelius expert, though I have heard – like most Finns – his symphonies and some other pieces. One of the reasons I was especially happy for this concert ticket was, that the concert consisted of some more rarely performed pieces, that I hadn’t heard before.

At first Lahti Symphony orchestra and conductor Dima Slobodeniouk performed “The Bard”. It is a short piece – only about 10 minutes – but I liked it a lot. Harp plays an important role in it and most of the time the music is very gentle and only a few times it starts thundering. Interesting acquaintance!

Next it was Karita Mattila’s turn, who sang five songs by Sibelius (Arioso, Spring Flies Speedily, Since Then I have Questioned No Further, The Diamond on the March Snow, Autumn Evening). Mattila’s performance was excellent. It seemed that she was nervous about especially the high notes of the last song, but there was no need to worry. Sure, her voice is not the same it was when she was young and perhaps the high notes require more concentration, but they still sound fantastic. In addition to which, the depth of performance brought by age and the absolutely beautiful low notes made at least me agree that it was well worth the trip to Lahti to hear her sing. It was a pity, though, that we didn’t hear more songs by her; I could have easily listened to a second set of songs. As an encore she sang “To Evening”, which was totally different from the actual concert songs – a much lighter song. Fun to sing, I am sure, but a bit surprising a choice to end this program with.

After the interval, Lahti Symphony Orchestra performed ”Night Ride and Sunrise”, which Sibelius has said describes the nocturnal ride from Suojärvi to Värtsilä in Carelia  (though he has told different stories to different people about the origin of this composition). I found it fun to try to hear different features (Nature, animals etc) in the music. Of course, I thought I recognized some things, but it is hard to say if I was right or not.

But the absolute peak of the second part of the concert to me was “”En saga”. Lovely music and I especially loved the viola solos. What wonderful deep tones! I could have easily listened to it a second time right away.

As the encore Lahti Symphony Orchestra performed ”Finlandia” which was not a huge surprise. This piece is known to every Finn and it raises a lot of patriotic feelings. Slobodeniouk’s Finlandia was striking, rythmic, almost belligerent. Once again it was proved that even a composition like ”Finlandia” that is performed regularly, can sound totally different when played by different musicians



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti