sunnuntai 20. marraskuuta 2016

Anna Karenina in Moscow Operetta Theatre, the 18th of November, 2016


ANNA KARENINA

 

Thanks to non-matching flight schedules I ended up spending an evening in Moscow. Unfortunately I was not able to find any operas that particular night, so I ended up seeing the brand new musical, Anna Karenina, in Moscow Operetta Theatre.

The story is very well-known: a young mother, married to an older man falls in love with a young officer and leaves her husband and son only to end up being dumped by the officer and in the end she commits suicide by throwing herself under a train.
I have to say that the performance was a living proof what you can reach when you have a lot of money and talent available. Setting in itself was quite simple, only some metal racks, but with video projections they changed from high society ball rooms to railway stations and wheat fields. Great work! Costumes were also grand to watch. The lights were brilliant, too. Especially the final scene, where also the audience got lights, was memorable.

Music could best be described as Russian pop music: nice but I doubt any of the songs will become evergreens. Performers were almost all very professional and I liked especially Darya Yanvarina in the role of Kitty. Though, I have to admit that the highpoint of the musical for me was the scene that took place in the opera, where they had got an actual opera singer from Bolshoi Theatre, Oxana Lecnichaya to sing.

Last but not least, I have to say that the dancers were absolutely incredible. Choreography was rapid, even acrobatic. All in all the evening was very entertaining and visually impressive.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti