sunnuntai 6. marraskuuta 2016

Messiah in the Helsinki Cathedral, the 4th of November, 2016


MESSIAH

 

Cantores Minores performed G.F. Handel’s oratorio Messiah in the Helsinki Cathedral on the eve of All Saints’ Day. I have earlier heard Cantores Minores in German oratorios and passions, so this oratorio in English was a nice change.

The performance was awesome. The choir was, as usual, wonderful to listen to and this oratorio revealed quite new sides in its singing. Excellent work and especially the lower voices turned out to be far more interesting than before.

In addition to the excellent choir the soloists of the evening were stunning. I admit that I am a huge fan of Tuomas Katajala, so I was really looking forward to his performance, especially since I had only heard him before in operas. But he was fantastic also in this religious work. Katajala’s tenor voice is wonderfully warm and full-bodied. The two other male soloists, countertenor Teppo Lampela and baritone Aarne Pelkonen also sang beautifully. Out of the individual arias I was most looking forward to the soprano aria Rejoice Greatly, O Daughter of Zion. However, I was a bit disappointed with that. Even though Johanna Rusanen sang really well the whole evening, I felt that the interpretation of this particular aria was a bit too aggressive. The ornamental parts of the aria would have sounded better if they had been sung with a little bit lighter touch.

The Finnish Baroque Orchestra played beautifully the whole evening and even though the performance lasted three hours instead of the promised two and a half, I believe the audience was really satisfied when they left the church.  

The Helsinki Cathedral

The Altar

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti