perjantai 11. lokakuuta 2019

Apollo and Daphne in the Helsinki Music Centre, the 10th of October, 2019


On Wednesday evening I got at Sonore the autumn programme of Finnish Baroque Orchestra (FiBO) and noticed that I had somehow totally missed their Thursday’s concert at the Helsinki Music Centre. So, naturally I had to buy a ticket, since the programme contained music from my big favourite Georg Friedrich Handel. Despite the last minute purchase, I managed to get a quite nice seat and I was happy.

The first part of the evening consisted of orchestral music. First some delightful suites from Handel’s operas “Ariodante” and “Alcina”. After Handel we heard Pietro Locatelli’s Concerto grosso in E Flat Major and Francesco Maria Veracini’s Overture No. 6 in G Minor. I didn’t really get turned on by Locatelli’s concerto. It was a bit bland, but Veracini’s overture was good and I wouldn’t mind hearing more music from him. He has composed operas, too, so it would be nice to hear at least one of them one day, if possible. I especially enjoyed the wind instruments that played an important role in the overture. Nice work!

All in all, it was a pleasure to listen to FiBO – as usual – and I it was great fun to watch the work of Georg Kallweit, who was the visiting leader/violinist for the evening. He was living the music with his whole body and spent a considerable part of the concert on his toes (literally!).

The second part of the concert was the highlight of the evening – Handel’s cantata “Apollo and Daphne”. The god Apollo falls in love with the nymph Daphne, who is not at all interested in him. Apollo keeps on harassing her and finally she turns into a laurel tree to avoid his ardent love.

The role of Daphne was sung by Silvia Frigato and the role of Apollo by Gyula Orendt. I have to admit I absolutely fell in love with Orendt. Such an expressive way of performing and what a voice! When he was singing about the rose with thorns, at one point I just stopped breathing for a minute. Unbelievable! And even though Silvia Frigato sang nicely, somehow in comparison she felt lifeless.

A special mention goes to the unknown light designer, who changed the orangish colour tone of the concert hall walls to green to mark the transition to a laurel tree in the end. Nice touch!



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti