sunnuntai 30. lokakuuta 2016

Nixon in China in the Royal Opera in Stockholm (Sweden), the 29th of October, 2016


NIXON IN CHINA

 

I have never been to opera in Sweden before even though I have seen opera in many countries further away from Finland, so it was high time to correct this neglect. I had for some reason for years wanted to see John Adams’s Nixon in China and now it was performed in the Royal Opera of Stockholm. And the opera was definitely worth seeing.

The opera is based in real life events, that is, Nixon’s visit to China in February 1972.

I absolutely loved the music itself. Kungliga Hovkapellet (the orchestra) was in great shape and the music was enchanting. In his first opera John Adams has managed to compose simply hypnotic music that you just hoped would continue forever; occasionally I even hoped that singing would not interrupt it, which I can hardly believe I am saying!

I liked the production and the set of the opera. Sean Niewenhuis’s video projections were top notch and worked really well. In the beginning there was a stunning chorus piece combined with a great video that absolutely stunned be.

None of the singers made massive impression on me during the performance. The music was, without doubt, difficult to sing and some singers managed better than others, but nobody became my favourite. Despite that the performance was magnificent and I enjoyed my afternoon tremendously.

The Royal Opera




Nixon in China





Interior





Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti