torstai 27. lokakuuta 2016

Onyx at Theatre Toivo, the 26th of October, 2016


ONYX

 

Onyx is a vampire musical performed in Theatre Toivo during the autumn months (last performance on the 17th of December) in Telakkaranta in Punavuori, in Helsinki. The old factory environment was actually perfect for this story. The rough story to be performed in an equally rough industrial surroundings worked really well. And I have never sat in an armchair in a theatre before!

The story begins with the death of the king of vampires Heliodor and it ends with crowning of the new ruler. In between a lot happens: love, sex, hatred, battles, camaraderie and sacrifices. Personally I felt that the first act was kind of preparation for the actual events of the second act.

Even though I did not originally exactly think that I was the actual target group of this musical, I must say that the audience was varied enough, so that I felt from the beginning at home amongst them.

From the musical point of view the evening was interesting. Unlike in most Finnish musicals, in this one performers actually could sing, which was great. My absolute favourite among the performers was Katariina Tuoriniemi, who sang the role of Alexandrite. She has a versatile voice that could manage the clear beautiful notes of the beginning and also showed its raw edge later in the performance. Lovely to listen! I hope I will have a chance to hear more of her later on.

The crowning moment of the musical was the vampire warriors’ swearing of allegiance to the new ruler (no, I am not going to post any spoilers about who will become the new ruler – go and see the musical yourself!).  The piece was both musically and dramatically impressive, so it was a great end to the performance.

I can really recommend this musical for brightening dark autumn evenings. I at least noticed that I was smiling on my way home, happy with what I had seen and heard.

Cloakroom

The stage


Varsha, Tobaz, Morion ja Condor

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti