tiistai 14. elokuuta 2018

Kristine Opolais in the Turku Concert Hall, the 10th of August, 2018


I have heard many people wonder, how is it possible, that Turku Music Festival somehow manages to year after year get big opera names to its concerts. This year it was the turn of Kristine Opolais, who has been performing for years now in the most famous opera houses, to give a concert in Turku. The orchestra of the evening was the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra with its conductor Hannu Lintu.

First of all, I am compelled to say that I did not become an Opolais fan after this concert. Yes, she did reach the notes and in the finest high notes her voice was occasionally extremely beautiful, but in my opinion her performance was without soul. And opera without soul is – well – notes. I could not avoid thinking that the programme had been built to be as dramatic as possible and the drama was built by wringing hands, which meant that the result was forced.

As a whole the programme of the evening was, to say the least, interesting. I thought a lot about the combining factor of the concert. The arias sung by Opolais and the pieces played by the FRSO were quite different in style and I was not always able to find any connection between them. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely loved the FRSO pieces! Especially “Drifts” by Sebastian Fagerlund and “Shadows” by Aulis Sallinen were fabulous and I truly enjoyed listening to them. Great music and fascinating compositions.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti