torstai 2. elokuuta 2018

Tuomas Katajala in the Espoo Cathedral, the 26th of July, 2018


My most anticipated music event of this summer was also part of Espoo’s Organ Night and Aria Festival; the concert of Tuomas Katajala in the Espoo Cathedral. Those who have been following my blog cannot have escaped to notice that I am a huge Katajala fan. I had originally thought that he would be singing also opera arias, but the whole programme turned out to consist of songs of Mozart and Richard Strauss. But if I may quote the words of American Idol judge Randy Jackson, in my opinion Katajala could sing from the phone book and I would still buy tickets to his concerts
And he fulfilled my expectations also this time; his singing was divinely beautiful, controlled and emotional. Out of the Mozart songs that he sang before the small break (kept due to hot weather), I liked “Das Lied der Trennung” best. It was an unbelievably beautiful and touching song, where Katajala’s voice just about ripped your heart out of your chest.
Out of the Strauss songs my favourites were “Zuneigung” and “Morgen!”, though Katajala’s singing was so stellar that it is just about hair-splitting to name any favourites. But I suppose it is normal that we all have some personal favourites.
As the encore Katajala sang Carl Sjöbergs “Tonerna”. What a splendid end to the concert; I don’t think I have ever heard such a beautiful version of the song before.
And, of course, Erkki Korhonen did a great job as the accompanist at the piano. He and Katajala really played together well.  



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti