keskiviikko 27. heinäkuuta 2022

7 letters in G18, the 8th of July, 2022

It was several years ago when I last had a chance to hear mezzosoprano Erica Back to sing, so when she finally had a chance to organize her song recital ”7 letters” after it being postponed earlier due to Covid 19, I simply had to go and see it. The recital was kept in G18, which was centrally located and also of suitable size for this type of happening. She was accompanied by Mariko Furukawa.

All the songs in the recital were from female composers; the best known to me were Nadia Boulanger and Clara Schumann. Back connected to each composer a letter that she read aloud. The letters were either written by them or written to them. This concert was also multilingual: Back read the letters in Finnish, Swedish and English and the songs were in French, German and English (the programme leaflet had translations in Finnish, Swedish and English).

I have always like Erica Back, but I have to say that she had used the years that I had not heard her very wizely. Her voice had gained even more depth and shades and her interpretations had matured just as they should with age.

I also liked the concept of the recital. The short letters told more about the composers and their life and the songs fitted the stories. I hope Back will perform this recital also elsewhere so that more people will have a chance to hear it. Having a concert in the middle of the summer holiday season and in the middle of the week may not be the best possible timing for many people.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti