keskiviikko 17. elokuuta 2022

Hans-Ola Ericsson in the Church of the Cross in Lahti, the 11th of August

Even though I am above all a lover of vocal music, I do sometimes listen to other types of music. This time I celebrated by summer holiday by visiting a day-time organ concert of the Lahti Organ Festival in the Church of the Cross, where the Swedish organist Hans-Ola Ericsson played. I am not an expert on organs, but I did learn during this concert that from different type of organs you can get very different sounds.

The concert consisted of both classical organ pieces (beginning from the 17th century) to modern pieces, one of which was composed by the organist himself. I normally like the classics the most, because they are usually classics for a reason. This time, too, the Variations for organ from the choral ”Sei gegrüsset, Jesu gütig” by Johann Sebastian Bach made an impression. Bach was a genius and part of the fun in listening this piece is to try to pick up all the 11 variations.   

But in this concert my absolute favourite (and based on the applause not only mine) was Torsten Nilsson’s Crucifigatur (Crucify!) from 1968. It was definitely modern and I cannot describe the melody, but if you are interested there is at least one interpretation available in Youtube together with the score https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQIj3uJFD0A Ericsson’s performance was superb and I was long after the concert ecstatic about the it.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti