tiistai 30. elokuuta 2022

Winterreise in the Karjalohja church, the 20th of August, 2022

I have this year heard Franz Schubert’s song cycle Winterreise (Winter journey) already two times, last time in the beginning of August in Mänttä. The cycle is originally composed to a piano and a singer, but this time in the church of Karjalohja, a bit different Winterreise was offered to the audience, since it was arranged to an orchestra and a singer. The arrangement was made by German composer/conductor Hans Zender, who died in 2019. The soloist was my great favourite Tuomas Katajala.

I was quite excited to hear (and a bit nervous) an orchestra arrangement of Winterreise without knowing what to expect. But I can say without hesitation that the whole concert was an amazing experience. Winterreise sounded like a totally different work when played by an orchestra and Zender’s arrangement highlighted some songs that I had earlier not considered to be my favourites like “Flood”, which was absolutely superb in this arrangement.

Zender’s arrangement was modern in a good way and the Lohja City Orchestra was just the right orchestra to play it. Zender used also unusual instruments like a bullhorn. Usually Winterreise is mainly judged by the singer, but in this performance Katajala’s role was just to complete the work. He did it very well, but I have to admit that one day I would like to hear him sing Winterreise accompanied by the piano.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti